Know the Warning Signs of Cancer
Lump or thickening in the breast or any other part of the body
Change in wart or mole
Indigestion or trouble swallowing
Change in bowel or bladder habits
Unusual bleeding or discharge
Nagging, persistent cough or hoarseness
Unexplained changes in weight
Wear Sunscreen (at least SPF 30) whenever you’re outside. Avoid sunburns, especially if you have red or blond hair, blue or green eyes, fair skin and freckles. Sunscreen should protect against UVA and UVB rays.
Breast Self Exams
Should be done monthly along with full skin exam
Testicular Self Exams
Should be done monthly from age 15 – 40 along with full skin exam.
Examine your skin regularly to be sure you have no abnormal moles or other lesions. We do a lot of dermatology work and can take care of 90% of your skin problems. For the other 10% we will refer you to an appropriate dermatologist.
Abnormal Moles have one or more of the following danger signs:
Asymmetry – if you could fold the mole in half, both side don’t match
Irregular borders – edges not smooth or distinct
Diameter larger than a pencil eraser
Crusting or oozing
Change in color or size
A new mole on a person over 40 years old
Enlarging or elevating
A family history of melanoma
If you have a concern, please make an appointment to see us for evaluation.
Colon and Rectal Cancer
Approximately 30% of people over 50 have colon polyps and 30% of these may silently progress to colon cancer. Removing these polyps prevents cancer. Colon cancer has a high death rate if not caught in time. It is extremely preventable with regular screening tests.
After age 45, you should complete the mail-in stool test. A small specimen of stool is smeared on a card and sent to a lab for microscopic testing of blood in the stool. Some patients do not return their stool cards. This is a very important test. Please do it.
You should have a colon evaluation by a scope beginning at age 50. (Begin at age 40 if someone in your family has had colon cancer.) If you have colon polyps or colon cancer, your family should be notified and screened. They are at increased risk.